To provide an internship program which helps inner-city school students develop important business and life skills
Who We Are And What We Do
Sabre88, LLC. is a Newark-based company that has been in business since 2008 under the direction of our founder and former U.S. Olympian—Robert Cottingham, Jr. Sabre88 specializes in providing a myriad of professional support services to the federal government such as acquisition support; administrative assistance; financial management; records management; and policy/paralegal support. Our corporate entity also consists of an executive team, business development team, human resources team, finance team, and a team of interns.
Over the past decade, Sabre88 has employed interns to work at the corporate level in different departments across the firm. Beyond paying the interns for their work, Sabre88 provides access to mentorship and real-life experience in the workplace. Thanks in part to the Sabre88 Internship Program, many former interns have gone on to achieve great things such as: becoming a Fulbright Scholar, going to graduate school, receiving offers of employment, and even being hired full-time at Sabre88.
Sabre88 is seeking motivated high-school students who are ready for real-world experience. The student intern will assist with a wide range of duties. This includes a rotation through various departments within the organization, including Business Management, Human Resources, and Business Development. In addition, they will gain experience in Life Skills.
- Grade Point Average 3.3 or Greater
- Senior or Junior (with minimum of 2 hours that you can work per day)
- Duration – Fall, Spring and Summer (optional)
- Available to work 10 hours a Week
- Clear Background Check
- Access to Internet, Phone, & Computer
- Microsoft Office Skills
- Effective Email Communications Skills
- Excellent Written & Verbal Skills
- Project Management Skills
- Practical Experience with a wide variety of Life Skills
- Mentoring & Training Opportunities with Seasoned Professionals
- Opportunity to Participate in Meetings
- Developing Important Professional Skills and Relationships
- Flexible Schedule (between 8 & 4:30)
- Compensation – $10.30 per hour
- Understanding Benefits Packages
- Interviewing Techniques – STAR method
- Resume Writing
- Email Etiquette
- Importance of Meeting Deadlines
- Developing Personal Mission and Value Statements
- Time Management
- Microsoft Office Skills (Excel, Word and PowerPoint)
- Financial Management and Planning
- Adhere to agency policies, procedures, and rules of professional behavior
- Be punctual, and work the required hours agreed upon
- Notify your department head if you are unable to work as planned
- Respect the confidentiality of the workplace, its clients, and employees
- Discuss any problems with your department head
- Student Interns will work virtually from their homes or at school (if applicable free periods and computers are available)
- The Sabre88 Corporate Team has been successfully working virtually for the past 6 months and is experienced with handling day-to-day operations in this environment
- If the student is required to go into the office for any reason, they will be escorted by a Sabre88 employee. All precautions have been made at the office for CO-VID 19 protection (masks, distancing, cleaning)
- We will comply with Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines precautions with returning to the office.
- Our back to office policy for students part of the Youth Career Development Program will align with school determined virtual attendance policy versus on campus.
Department Head Bios
Michele A Nesbitt works as the Executive Assistant to the CEO and founder of Sabre88 as well as the Senior Management Team. Michele has been a member of the Sabre88 team for 18 months. Michele is a proud graduate of Westside High School here in Newark. has an AA in Business Administration from Essex College of Business in Newark, NJ and is currently working towards her bachelors in Business Management and Healthcare Administration. Michele volunteers at her church as a member of the Homelessness prevention team, head of the afterschool program, and food pantry, as well as being a girl Scout Troup leader. Michele has a passion for helping people and believes all children deserve the right to be the best “Me” that they can be!
Nakira Whitehead currently works for Sabr88 LLC as the Business Data and Pricing Analyst. She has been employed with Sabre88 for a combined total of 4 years, 2 years as a Financial Analyst on our contract side with GSA, and 2 years supporting our Back Office. As the Business Data and Pricing Analyst, Nakira works with the Business Development team to manage the organizational pipeline, maintain and analyze the company’s data and performance to aid in organizational strategy, and manages the current intern group. Along with supporting the Business Development team in data management, Nakira works with the team on pricing opportunities in order to obtain optimal pricing for proposal submissions. Nakira received a dual BA degree in Finance and International Business from Clark Atlanta University. She later went on to obtained her Global MBA from George Washington University in Finance, while also receiving her Business Analytics Certification. Nakira has a passion for mentoring the youth, she volunteered as a Big (mentor) for over 6 years with Big Brother Big Sister of Metro Atlanta, as well as volunteered as a mentor with an all-girls mentoring group in Atlanta, Diamonds in the Rough. Nakira has a personal interest in music, writing poetry and teaching financial literacy.
Kristina King has been working for Sabre88 for over a year. She is an HR Generalist and went to college for Human Resources and has a post-college Professional in Human Resources (PHR) Certificate. She has 8 years of experience working in HR with companies both large and small and a passion for helping people. She has the experience teaching and leading teens that she demonstrated in her past role as a camp counselor. In this program, Kristina will lead the interns through projects in the HR Department as well as teach the basics of what Human Resources does, the ins and outs of benefits, and the importance and logistics of handling sensitive information.
Gail Young-Davis is a Human Resources Generalists for Sabre88, LLC., a consulting firm with a proven ability to help government leaders manage large-scale initiatives. Gail is responsible for Human Resources Initiatives and Contract Recruiting for several government agencies to deliver customer-focused staffing needs in various areas. Gail is Customer-focus, results driven, and has a foundation of strong relationship building. As a seasoned professional with over 30 years of Human Resources experience, Gail has demonstrated success in translating and executing value-added Human Resources initiatives based on business strategies. Domain expertise has been across the following disciplines: Performance Management, Strategic Retention Programs, Employee Relations, Policy Development, Benefits Administration, Compensation /Salary Administration, Organizational Development, and Staffing/Workforce planning. Previously, Gail worked as a contractor for the Nuclear Regulatory Commission for almost 10 years in Human Resources with all aspects of employee management. Prior to that, Gail was a Human Resources Business Partner at Unisys Corporation for 25 years. While working at Unisys, she implemented a Sales Demand Plan through extensive recruiting campaigns to fill openings with high quality and diverse talent. Also recruited billable client services, which included consultants, architects, and project managers. Greatest accomplishments included decreasing turnover, increasing employee satisfaction, and reducing litigation costs while working at Unisys managing an organization of over 1,100 billable clients. Gail holds a B.A. Degree from Eastern University, Saint David’s, PA in the field of Organizational Management.
Paul McVeigh is a Research Analyst at Sabre88 and has been a part of the team for a year and a half. Having started as an intern, he understands the value that an internship brings as far as learning corporate culture and office etiquette, as well as gaining valuable experience in a professional setting.
Chief Warrant Officer Charles Cernat retired from the United States Coast Guard after 20 years of honorable service. After military service, Charles worked for the federal government as a FAC Level 3 federal Contracting Officer for ten years. Charles currently works for Sabre88 as a federal proposal writer. Charles earned a Master of Science in Public Administration and Criminal Justice from West Chester University and has publications in the Forensic Digest-Summer 2012 entitled “Native American Culture” and “Repeat Victimization in the Criminal Justice Encyclopedia : Wiley Publishers-2014.
- Human Resources – During the Human Resources rotation, the intern group will learn what a human resources department entails, and the importance of human capital. The interns will work will closely with HR to learn about personnel documents, filing and maintaining records along with proper resume construction and what companies look for in a resumé.
- Business Management – Throughout the Office Management rotation, the intern group will learn what is required in managing a business and supporting the CEO, Executive team and the business needs of a mid-size organization. The office management team is the backbone of any business and is needed to maintain the daily function and operations of the business. This will give the interns skills in the awareness of entrepreneurship and its functionality.
- Business Development – The Business Development rotation will provide insight on how to maintain and grow a business. This rotation is comprised of five categories, which include Business Strategy, Partner Relationship, Market Research, Proposal Writing, and Data Management. These functional areas are all key components in growing a business. The interns will rotate through each of these divisions and learn first hand the ins and outs of developing a business.
Interesting linksHere are some interesting links for you! Enjoy your stay :)
- Account Analyst Recruitment Project
- Back Office Employee Page
- Employee Page
- GSA 8(a) STARS II
- GSA OASIS
- HR Page
- Human Resources
- Labor Posters
- Youth Career Development Program
- Our Story
- Corporate and Management
- Contract Vehicles
- Employment Opportunities
- Topical Hangout